Sunday, July 26, 2009

Perfect Timing

From time to time, we must be reminded that everything happens for a reason and that God's time table is WAY better than ours. The past month has been a lesson in that for me!

Recently, our family decided to go on a mission trip to Costa Rica with our church. The team was made up of 18 people--the youngest of whom was Matthew (8 yrs). Many of us had never been on a mission trip outside of the United States...although several of us had been on mission trips within the States. Being Matthew's first trip, both in the mission field and out of the country, I was a little anxious about 'culture shock.' So to begin the process of acclimating him to new foods, new ideas, etc. David and I decided to have him try out new foods at least 2-3 times each week. While we were really well-intentioned on this one, dinner time became a battle ground...who would cave first? Would Matthew just suck it up and eat this dish he didn't really want or would Mom and Dad cave and get him a pb&j sandwich? So, we go through this for about 6 weeks prior to the trip, sometimes he just eats (complaining the whole time, of course) and sometimes we just let him get the peanut butter. Then we get to Costa Rica, the first dish they put in front of him...gallo pinto -- rice and beans (mixed together). He hates beans, so he says, but he ate it without a peep. The next day, we have fish for lunch. He hates fish, so he says, but he eats it and LOVES it. It goes on from there with him mostly liking everything that is put in front of him. Honestly, I don't really believe that it had anything to do with David and I or the battle of dinnertime. I believe that when God was in control of the situation, Matthew was more able to be open to new things.

While we were in Costa Rica, we got to spend time with Kaylee, another member of the team. Kaylee is going into the 6th grade. More importantly, Kaylee has been a student at the same elementary school where Matthew will be attending next year. And Matthew was very nervous and anxious about this new school. However, the last night we were in Costa Rica, Matthew and I got to sit with Kaylee for dinner. Kaylee and I started talking about the elementary school and then she and Matthew began a conversation about the school. By the time dinner was over, Matthew was feeling much better about this new school. I am excited that God put someone in our path at just the right time to make this transition (or even the idea of a transition) better.

The biggest example of God's perfect timing came this past week. When David and I left our former church, we were introduced to a book, The Most Loving Place on Earth. After the first week of this study group, I found myself being led to give a copy of the book to two of our friends/leaders at our former church. I was a bit apprehensive about it...how would it look; what would they think? etc. I really didn't want to do it, but I couldn't get it out of my mind so I figured God must be trying to tell me something. So I purchased two copies, David gave one to one person and I gave my copy to another person with a note that just said, "you should take a look at this. It made my think really hard about some things." And I didn't mention it to the person again. I believed that the people we gave this book to probably just shoved into their bookcases and forgot it. But...I was wrong. Those two people read it and then apparently read it again. And this past week, another leader at the church shared that he was about to read it. The person I passed the book on to bought 30 copies to distribute to the leadership and laity of the church...because he believes that in that book there is a powerful message that everyone should hear. I don't know if they will be able to put some of the key principles into practice, but I do know that God put David and I in that study group for a reason. His timing was absolutely perfect...all we had to do was show up and take the step He asked us to!

No comments:

Post a Comment